Saturday, September 5, 2015

Joah at 4 Months

I'm so behind on blogging and documenting our lives here. We have been busy making lots of memories and I still manage to take lots of pictures (even if they are just on my phone) but it seems like I don't have time to share them here anymore with three kids 5 and under, a newborn, our first year of homeschooling (which is going so incredibly well!), etc. I'm forcing myself to take a moment to write these monthly updates for the boys when necessary to print off for their memory books (or I'd never remember all the specifics later). Hopefully I can post some pictures of life lately soon but we will see...

Joah was four months old yesterday. How is that even possible? Here is an update on him at four months:

Wearing:  3-6 month clothing; size two diapers for a while longer (leaking some as he is getting longer)

Weight and Height:
16 pounds 9 ounces (around 75 percentile for weight) and 25 inches (around 50% for height) - he has gained/grown exactly 9 pounds and 6 inches since birth, which the doctor said is wonderful!

Appearance: Joah has been looking so similar to pictures of James at the same age, but the other day while he was asleep I thought he looked so much like my Dad as I was watching him so I think he has some Lakes in him too. (Which, of course, we know he does. But I actually see it coming through in him...) Genes are a funny thing. Ultimately, all our boys look so similar and I see different people in them at different times too. But Joah is, for sure, his own unique creation too! Still has blue-ish eyes and dark hair that has lightened some. His doctor said today that his eyes are looking lighter and probably will not be brown which is what I had been thinking. Jude's were brown so early!

Eating: Nursing on demand all the time. He eats usually just once during the night as well. Our pediatrician said he really doesn't *need* to eat during the night anymore, but I just trust my heart on this front and know this too shall pass. He still has not had a bottle because I honestly don't have time to pump. It's just easier this way!

Sleeping: still sleeping about 5-7 hours before waking to eat at night (and maybe even regressed a little. It always happens at the four month mark). He still generally sleeps many times throughout the day with the longest nap probably in the afternoon when Jude (and a lot of days James) naps. He sleeps swaddled in the rock n play at night...maybe for a little longer. I definitely dread transitioning out of it because it works so well! He also loves to nap in the ergo when we are out or now while I'm busy homeschooling James.

Interactions/Development: he is smiling all the time with big open mouthed smiles, he is really watching things and people this month and trying to interact with sweet smiles, he notices the lights on the tv now when it's on, cooing, giggling, watching everything above him (ceiling fans) and around him (big brothers playing) or passing him by (trees when we walk or are driving in the van), he has found his hands and sticks his whole fist in his mouth, kicking his legs and swatting and grasping at things with his arms (just a lot more active and squirmy this month), holding his head up really well when laying on his tummy, and overall just seems a lot stronger. He hasn't rolled over yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that happened soon. He also is acting like he wants to sit up when reclined in the chair/swing and lean towards Mama to pick him up.

Outings: no major outings this month. Just our normal places: church, grocery store, library, park, etc. We did go to the zoo and botanical gardens in Birmingham this month as family outings/school trips.

Things he seems to like: being held, being worn in the ergo carrier, bath time (big time splashing now!), being outside, his mam pacifiers, watching his big brothers, his play mat, he's enjoying being laid down more now and swinging in his swing

Things he dislikes; being in the car seat especially later at night or when it's dark or really sudden and loud shouts from his brothers (he doesn't mind their regular noisy playful sounds)

Health: he's been very healthy this month! He is really just a happy, healthy baby and I give God the praise for the gift of his health. 

Temperament: He's just pretty laid back and happy for now!

Sweet Joah, you are evidence of grace upon grace in our lives. I'm thankful every day of being your Mama (that are going by so very quickly). I love you, forever!






No comments: