We made it home from South Carolina a little before bedtime on Christmas Eve. We unloaded the van, gave the boys baths, and let them open new Christmas pajamas (footed polar bears!). We left out some goodies for Santa (Somehow the cookies you gave us got smashed and crumbled in the van, Nana Lakes!) and read the Christmas story.
Christmas morning we woke up and opened presents and ate muffins and sausage balls. The boys were excited to play with their new toys. Jude's main gifts were an add-on playset to our Fisher Price farm, a laugh and learn shopping bag, and a crawl around car. It was all Fisher Price stuff so apparently we were digging their toys for 6 month olds this year. James' main gifts were an RC Dusty, a LeapReader with books, and LOTS of Lightning Wooden Track Cars (that's all he's asked for now for months and you can only get them on ebay). The boys exchanged gifts with each other, and James gave Jude the sweetest hug. James also picked out gifts for Stephen and I with his Awana Bucks at church: he chose a picture frame for Stephen and a pen/stylus for me. I cried! He said it was because "he loved me so much!" It was the best gift ever.
I had high hopes for the day. I wanted it to be so special for them and a special first Christmas for Jude, but everyone was so sick, we had fevers and no energy, and the best we could do was just hang around in pajamas all day. The boys didn't even want to eat. I felt myself getting slightly disappointed that I somehow didn't make the day enough, but, at the same time, I had a day spent with the three most important people in my life, and I don't want to ever lose sight of what is truly important. There are/were so many reasons to be thankful even if the day didn't meet some unrealistic expectation I'd put on myself. I read a good article recently about Christmas Expectations that really puts things in perspective: Christmas Expectations
Anyway, despite sickness and not being able to do as many special little things with the boys as I had hoped, it was a day spent together and I'm very thankful. The weekend after Christmas we were able to go over and spend a few hours with Stephen's parents and exchange gifts as well. Here are some pictures from our Christmas at home and at Nana and Grandpa's:






No comments:
Post a Comment