My mother-in-law had the opportunity to hear Karen Kingsbury, one of my favorite Christian authors, speak recently. Karen Kingsbury has also written a children's book that features a mother and son that is written to encourage mothers to not only embrace our children's "firsts" but each moment we're given with them because we don't know when the "last" of these moments/stages will come: the last bottle, last nap, last bath, last little league game, etc. I had skimmed this book before, but I've never read it while I was pregnant with a little boy while holding another little boy in my lap that is growing and changing much faster than I'd like! Well, my mother-in-law gave this to Stephen and I for Valentines Day and not only did I cry all the way through it but probably for 20 minutes straight afterwards. I was a mess. It's such a sweet book that I'd highly recommend. But be forewarned, it is quite a tearjerker!
And then last night in the car, a song came on Christian radio that was basically a father's exhortation to his growing son. Stephen tried to turn it off, but I forced him (nicely) to turn it back on and promised to hold myself together better than I had a few days ago. The song is "You'll Find Your Way" by Andrew Peterson and is based off of Jeremiah 6:16: "Thus says the Lord, 'Stand by the roads and look; ask for the ancient paths, and walk in them, and you will find rest for your souls.'" It's all about the inevitability of our children growing up and going forward in a dark world where they will at some point experience pain that we simply can't always protect them from, and it's an exhortation to remember the "old roads" of their youth. He explains the story behind the song so much better than I ever could here, and It's definitely the prayer of my heart for James and Jude as well.
And here is the song. Another tearjerker, that I'll likely listen to a few more times and find myself crying all over again. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment