Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Granddaddy's Boat

Anyone in our family will tell you that my Dad is one of a kind. I really don't know anyone else like him. He doesn't fit into a mold, and he doesn't want or try to either. He is serious by nature, but can be so silly. He is an athlete and a former marine. He is passionate about many things including safety and self-defense, but there is nothing that compares with his passion for Jesus and telling others about Him. He is the picture of strength to me in so many ways. He also has a heart of compassion, and tears flow easily when he is touched deeply. And he isn't ashamed and doesn't try to hold them back either. He is a words of affirmation person, and he uses his words to encourage and bless others - even complete strangers. He doesn't ever miss an opportunity to encourage a coworker, a waitress at a restaurant, or a "young person." When he feels led by the Holy Spirit to speak and encourage someone, He does. It's one of the things that I love most about him. He loves nature and the outdoors. He has such an appreciation for the things that God has created, and I believe that he feels closest to God when he is outdoors, surrounded by the beauty of God's creation. Kayaking/canoeing is one of his favorite hobbies, and a few months ago when we visited I know he was so excited to be able to share that love with James for the first time. My stepmom sent me these pictures yesterday, and I am so glad to have his first time on "Granddaddy's boat," and the first time on any boat, captured on camera. James has a lot of great godly men in his life, and I'm so glad that his Granddaddy is one of them. 






No comments: