Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baking, Crafting, and Creating!

James and I have been busy the last few days baking and creating! He is at a such a fun age and likes to "I help Mama" in the kitchen. This past weekend we made my Mimi's ginger snap cookies (which he loved) and a banana bread recipe that called for a yellow cake mix! Yum! I don't have any pictures because between keeping him on the counter, mixing, and measuring my hands were very occupied!

We also made a few bird feeders to hang on the trees. I stored away this idea in my mind for a few months, and with all the warm days that we've been having it seemed like a good time to try it. We had a lot of fun, and James even insisted that I take one "bird feeder off tree" after hanging it because he wanted a little snack for himself. Good thing I used only what was on hand which was all edible (for humans)! The verdict: the birds have not taken to them at all (I realize that sunflower seeds and birdseed are not the same but google said it was okay...ha!) but at least it was a protein-packed snack for my little guy that tends to eat like a bird himself. Here are a few pictures of our fun (although he started to cry every time I tried to take his picture. He is, for whatever reason, not enjoying the camera these days!):








We also took a trip to several craft stores this morning. James convinced us to get him a little wooden truck in the 1$ section that we brought home and painted before his nap. He loved it! And I was on the lookout for some things to do some crafting of my own, because Stephen and I will celebrate our fifth anniversary on Saturday! Between Valentine's Day and our anniversary about a month later, we have made quite a few cards and presents for each other through the years. And on the years that we don't have time to make anything (i.e., when we had a one month old baby or we were in the middle of mid-terms) we usually opt to buy something practical (maybe not romantic but who we are). We were talking about some of our best and worst gifts this morning: For our first anniversary, I made him a collage with pictures and important things from our wedding (napkin, newspaper announcement, program, etc.) and he made me a wooden tray that he painted and stenciled on a passage of scripture. That was a good year! And then the worst, I am ashamed to say, was when I gave him a children's typing game (that may or may not be called Spongebob Teaches Typing) for our anniversary. (But in my defense, he asked for it so that he could learn to type faster to keep up with his professor in class...but I know, it's still aw-ful!) We got a big laugh out of that one! I had completely forgotten about that one...I wonder why!?!

So to redeem myself, I have been searching pinterest.com for the perfect idea and have found a few that I am thinking of kind of merging together into one (at least some of the details from each). 

Lots to do before Saturday, but surely, however this turns out, it cannot be worse than Spongebob Teaches Typing. I am thankful that he loves me regardless! 

No comments: