Thursday, January 19, 2012

Encouragement For Today

I found this commentary on Romans 8:28 while doing some blog hopping today. Romans 8:28 has always been one of my favorite verses, and I especially loved this particular commentary and was incredibly encouraged. I wanted to share!

On a kind of separate note, Stephen and I have been discussing "the sacrifice of praise" the last few days. And remembering and singing a song (James LOVES when we sing!) that we both used to sing in church as children - Stephen in his home church and me at the church that I attended with my Dad and Step-Mom. "We bring the Sacrifice of Praise into the house of the Lord, We bring the Sacrifice of Praise into the house of the Lord. And we offer up to you the sacrifices of Thanksgiving and we offer up to you the sacrifices of Joy." Does anyone else remember singing that song?

So regardless of how we feel at the moment or despite when/if things that don't go as planned in our lives, we recognize the importance of giving thanks to His name. I read this at justworship.com about sacrificial praise:

 "Giving thanks to his name is simply the making of a confession. It is agreeing with God about who he is and acknowledging his authority and character. Giving thanks is the expression of a heart that is spilling over with gratitude...The Father's requirement is that we offer the best we have. What God demands, he supplies. Just as he supplied the Old Testament sacrifices, he creates the fruit of our lips enabling us to give thanks to his name. Only then can we offer an acceptable sacrifice of praise.



15 Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Hebrews 13:15

So the prayer of my heart is that regardless of feelings, circumstances, or anything else - in moments of joy and in suffering - that our heart would overflow with gratitude and thanksgiving to God for who he is and always is and always has been. Even when our circumstances change, even when we go astray, even when things don't go as planned, He is still unchanging and worthy. 

No comments: