Monday, July 25, 2011

Tidbits and Highlights :)

We had a great sermon yesterday morning and I just wanted to share a few of the highlights. Many times I stay and help with James' class because he is still having trouble staying without us (especially on mornings when he has 3 molars coming in - yikes!!), but his sweet Daddy stayed with him yesterday morning.

The text was: Acts 11:27-30 and we really focused on the disciples not only making a vow to give to those in need during a time of famine, but also following through with their vow (vs. 30 - four important words, "and this they did")

The focus of the message was that the Gospel makes a changed life, and that if we are not changed are we following the wrong gospel? Do our lives reflect a change?

And a few other points that I wrote down:

- At times believers are called to do more than just tithe. Grace calls us to do even more. (This is very convicting for me. During these seminary days we are, of course, on a more limited budget than we will be in probably other seasons of our life, but that does not mean that we can not give according to our own ability as the disciples did in the above verses. If we are truly changed, we should be giving (of our time, money, resources, etc.) to those that are in need.

An excerpt from a book by Tim Keller (Generous Justice) that I loved: When you come upon those who are economically poor, you cannot say to them, "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" because you certainly did not do that spiritually.  Jesus intervened for you.  And you cannot say, "I won't help you because you got yourself into this mess," since God came to earth, moved into your spiritually poor neighborhood, as it were, and helped you even though your spiritual problems were your own fault.  In other words, when Christians who understand the gospel see a poor person, they realize they are looking into a mirror.  Their hearts must go out to him or her without an ounce of superiority or indifference.


I also loved this quote by Amy Carmichael: "You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving."


And I have always loved this verse as well:

8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly[a] with your God. Micah 6:8
(Our pastor also pointed out that justice in this verse is not necessarily about giving people what they deserve. Thankfully through Christ we do not receive the punishment that we deserve!)

There are so many that truly are in need around us both physically and spiritually. Our pastor also shared that "the only thing worse than being lost is being lost and no one is looking for you." I pray that I would not be so consumed with self that I would be constantly praying and looking for opportunities to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I pray that I would give even more (as grace compels us to give more) of my self and my resources. And that Christ would be glorified through  our family.


No comments: