Friday, June 25, 2010

4 months already...

James is quickly approaching five months so I wanted to go ahead and post another update of all the changes that happened by the fourth month. I am going to try and be better about posting more frequently too! I have not been blogging much but stay tuned because when we get back from Birmingham in a week, I will have lots to blog about and pictures to share!! (I may post 6 different posts at once!)

- James weighed 15.2 pounds and measured 25.5 inches long at his 4 month checkup.

- He is still wearing mostly 3-6 month clothes and is in size 2 diapers.

- He is really starting to fall into a predictable routine. He wakes up around 7:00 every morning and then takes a nap at 9:00, 12ish, 3ish, and a short cat nap in the early evening. His naps are usually a little over an hour now which is great for him! He takes a bath at 8:00 and is asleep no later than 9:00.

- He is eating about every 3 hours on most days. I have found when he gets out of his routine or what is familiar (such as traveling) he wants to eat more frequently until he adjusts.

- He is still waking up at least once during the night for a feeding but usually goes right back to sleep. He is so curious during the day that I think he doesn’t fill up but is able to get a great feeding in the middle of the night with no distractions.

- We tried feeding him rice cereal a few times. He definitely shows almost all the signs of being ready for it including pulling the spoon to his mouth when I bring it towards him but it has to be really, really liquidy for him to really eat it and I have decided to just wait a little closer to 6 months when he will start other baby food as well. The doctor said he is getting everything he needs as far as nutrition in the milk.

- James is a happy, content, and curious baby. He really intently watches the world around him and tries to absorb it all.

-He loves interacting with people. He doesn't mind to be held by others and always has plenty of smiles for everyone. Mommy really makes him smile and Daddy really makes him laugh. We are recognizing that he recognizes us as different people that meet different needs for him. At first I was sad that I wasn't the "funny" parent but I recognize that he seeks me for comfort and that is equally as wonderful.

-He loves books and tries to help Mommy turn the pages. He tries to read when we read and sing when we sing. He talks a lot especially in the morning and makes lots of “M” sounds. Every time he says “mmmmm” I say “Mama”. Ha!

-He is able to sit up on his own for a few seconds at a time and is trying hard to get in the crawling position. Sometimes he brings his legs underneath him and then pushes them back out and looks like a little worm moving on the floor. He is still not rolling over but trying very hard. I definitely think he could do it and will surprise himself the day that he does. He gets almost there and then stops! (Just this week he has almost done it but I stop him scared that Stephen will miss it while he's at M-Fuge with the youth.)

- He loves splashing in the water and loves hearing the water running in his bath because he knows it’s bath time. He had his first dip in the big pool and baby pool. He seemed a little confused at first but definitely warmed up to them in the end.

-His first tooth that was coming in on the side (or so we thought) but we found out it was actually not a tooth but an emerging cyst that means teeth are on their way. When the cyst wore off, I was actually relieved but I think it’s a matter of time before the teeth start popping through. He is chewing on everything and has days/nights that he is really uncomfortable.

- He also loves his feet this month!!! He is now pulling them up and into his mouth!!

There are probably so many more things that I could say but that is just a little list of all that is happening in his world and ours. James is just an absolute joy and am so blessed to be his Mom! I knew I would adore him but I never could have predicted just how much. I am absolutely attached! This month by God's grace I am finally feeling more confident and am so thankful. I am starting to pay much less attention to books, schedules, the clock, or what people say babies should be doing at this stage and pay much more attention to his voice and his cues. I am reminding myself that he is a unique creation with unique needs and won't be exactly like any other baby in the world because God made him that way. I hope we are building communication even now that will continue into his teens and adulthood. God is teaching me to trust Him first and then to listen to my son's voice. I hope that when I respond to James cues with love, that I am earning his trust and that he knows he can count on me and that I'll be there! I am so thankful!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Kassi! I saw those sweet pictures of James on Facebook. Just when I thought James couldn't look any MORE like Stephen...mercy! I miss you guys so much! I really want to see you guys soon! Do you have any plans to come to Raleigh in the near future, or the upstate?

The Johnson Family said...

Libby! No plans right now to come in the near future but I know eventually we'll be up that way for Stephen to take some classes. I'll keep you posted. If you are ever in the Savannah area, come see us! I would LOVE to see you guys. Glad you enjoyed the pictures of little Stephen - ha! Miss you!