I was given an eight week maternity leave from teaching (with an extra week because of a week long winter holiday) and so technically I would be returning in just four short weeks to finish out my year in fourth grade with only five weeks left in the school year. But I'm so thankful to say that I am not going to be returning to finish out the year....and I won't be going back next year either. I am going to take a few years to stay at home, help Stephen out more with the children and youth at church, and spend my days taking care of James! I feel so very grateful and blessed!
We live in a very small town (and I'm not even sure how many people read the blog), but I guess the news will get around eventually one way or another. I'm definitely sad that I will not be seeing some very wonderful people on a daily basis that I have had the privilege of teaching/working with and I will miss some very precious children as well. However, as my pregnancy progressed I began to wonder how hard it would be to go back to work. And when James was born and I held him for the first time, I didn't know how I would ever be able to leave him. I knew in my heart that I would be unhappy if I returned always wishing I was with James and as a result I wouldn't be able to give myself fully to teaching. I also knew that after working a full day and them coming home to do lesson plans and grading, I would never have the time that I needed to give to Stephen and James (the time and energy they deserved) and there is no such thing as a part-time teaching job or a teaching job with flexible hours. Daycare would be our only option. And I knew that there are several wonderful certified teachers in our school subbing daily because they desperately need a job and there are none available because of the economy. I knew that my leaving would be an answer to prayer for one of them. (Not to mention that I've worked in several daycares and many people do not love and care for other people's children as they should...that thought made me feel crazy enough...)
I was scared to have to break the news to our principal and assistant principal last week even though I knew I was making the right decision. I prayed that they would receive the news well and I was amazed at how they encouraged me in my decision and told me that they knew the Lord would provide for our family as we took this step. (I thank God for two of the godliest examples I have ever seen in a public school and am so grateful that I was able to work under them this year!)
I recognize that the Lord will provide for us in this new chapter and already has in so many ways! I am thankful for how he directed our steps to Georgia to this new place of ministry because this time last year while in seminary full-time staying at home with James would never have been possible. I recognize that this is a privilege and I pray that I would never take it for granted. I also want to make a commitment (and ask that you hold me accountable) to never complain about challenging days at home because I know there are many mothers out there that would give anything to have challenging days at home with their kids rather than being at work.
So, I guess it's official...I'm trading in my teacher bag for burp cloths and bottles! It's an exciting change and I praise God for it! :)
4 comments:
Woohoo! Welcome to the "club!" :) Very happy for you! I know God will take care of your precious family.
If this was facebook, I would click "like" repeatedly!!! :)
Blessings on the new changes!
So glad telling your principle went well! I am so glad you get to stay at home with James! You are doing such a great job Kassi!!
Post a Comment