Monday, February 15, 2016

Joah at 9 months and James at 6 years

We've had a busy, full 2016 so far. I think I've used those words to describe our life often, but they are so fitting. We had a great family vacation in Disney World at the end of January. Hopefully I can post some pictures of the highlights soon. I'm so thankful we had that opportunity to get away for a week with no schedule other than to make special memories together, and I know everyone already wants us to start saving again for the next time we can go. Ha!
We got back and in the midst of strep throat (for two), ear infections, and other sickness I planned James birthday party. He had a great party (which I hope to share about as well), but the thing that brought joy to my heart most was the little group of friends that he has met that have been so kind and special to him. And their parents to us as well! Something we have prayed for for a long time.
We are back in the thick of life, homeschooling, ministry and looking forward to a full but (we pray) very fruitful spring within the youth ministry and, of course, for our family as well. We also squeezed in a valentine's date with a few other couples in between morning and evening services yesterday. It was so nice to get away and we had a great time. Praying for the Lord's continued favor in the place that He has called us. This season has been so dear.

And for the updates:

Joah at 9 months:




wearing: wearing 6-9 month and 12 month clothing, size 4 diapers, going to outgrow both his brothers' first pair of shoes before he needs them for walking (his feet are big and his socks never stay on!)

Weight and Height:
20 pounds 7 ounces (62 percentile) (he actually lost a little weight from his sick visit last month but he's been sick and on antibiotic that has made his tummy upset) and 28 inches (33 percentile)

Appearance: still very similar in looks to James as a baby, his hair is growing in light and sticking up in a natural little Mohawk, blue eyes with brown stars around the pupil and some times they even look hazel in certain lighting or clothing (they are beautiful but don't know how to label them for his drivers license in 15-ish years - ha! Luckily I have time!), he has two little bottom teeth now and a big grin, he is the cutest baby and I'm completely biased!

Eating: Nursing on demand still;  he is not eating a lot of any kind of solids (token amounts of foods) but his iron is on the lower side so our pediatrician wants us to work on it. He is just a little milk baby right now and doesn't care about food. He will eat a little baby food and finger food with every meal but it's minimal. 

Sleeping: he still takes several cat naps (in the morning and evening) and his longest nap in the afternoon 

Interactions/Development: he's building on all his skills from last month and...he is getting more stable as he pulls up and may be standing unassisted before we know it, he has figured out how to climb into the little boy's kid-size chairs that are about six inches off the ground, he is officially saying "Mama!" And melting my heart 

Outings: first trip to Disney World! He loved his naps on Mama in the ergo carrier and waking up to greet characters or ride through It's A Small World or other attractions :)

Things he seems to like: being held, being worn in the ergo carrier, bath time, being outside, pacifier, watching and laughing at his big brothers, playing on the floor, and playing with toys!

Things he dislikes: being in the car seat especially later at night or when it's dark; Mama leaving him or being out of sight now (but doing better!), solid food unfortunately, when his brothers move a toy from his reach 

Health: first ear infections and strep throat; two bottom teeth 

Temperament: He's probably the most happy, easy-going baby of the three! Everyone comments on how happy he is. He has started to fuss just a little when he's not pleased with something or when Mama leaves him in the nursery (but doing better!) 

Happy 9 months Jo Jo! You've now been with us on the outside as long as I carried you on the inside. I would carry you 9 months again (and over and over again) for the absolute joy that you add to our lives. I am so proud and grateful to be your "Mama." I love you more than you could ever imagine!!





James at 6 years: 
Wearing: 5T, boys XS or 4/5, will
need size 6 for pants very soon, size 13 or 1 shoes 

Weight and Height: 40.2 pounds (14th percentile) and 3 feet 9 inches (42nd percentile) - he is eating better than he ever has but still gained less than two pounds this last year. 

Appearance: long and lean, dirty blond hair (lighter in the front), blue eyes

Eating: he is eating better than ever and can devour hamburgers and  Chickfila chicken sandwiches (his favorite) easily at a meal. He's come a long way from the little toddler with reflux issues and doctors that suggested "feeding therapy." We are so grateful! He eats lots of fruits, some veggies, and he has a sweet tooth like his Mama. He mostly drinks water, milk, sometimes juice, and very occasionally Sprite on special occasions. 

Sleeping: he sleeps great and later than anyone now! Another area that is so different than his early days of not sleeping through the night. He still occasionally takes a nap (2-3 days at most per week) when we have had a late night which is often while doing youth ministry 

Other things to mention: he made a profession of faith this year and was baptized!, he started homeschool kindergarten and has done amazing - he is excelling at math especially and beginning to read short readers, he just finished basketball at our church and improved by leaps and bounds since playing two seasons ago, he will start soccer at our church in the spring, he has really matured in many areas and seems so grown up, he is not afraid to stay in childcare settings or any of the classes at our church on Sunday's or Wednesdays and looks forward to going, he has a great little group of friends from church and I am so thankful, he is a big helper and great big brother, he is still very much our biggest Mama's boy, he is our extroverted introvert that enjoys people but likes days at home too (a lot like his Mama's firstborn personality), still a sweet snuggler, learning how to do so many things on his own: brushing teeth, telling time, zippers, pouring things, etc. etc. My baby is growing up!!





Interview with James at 6 years:


1. Six
2. Coy, Shaw, Bryant, Owen, Benjamin and my brothers 
3. play with Legos, remote control toys, Star Wars toys 
4. Blue, green, and purple
5. Chickfila sandwiches, hamburgers, Cinnamon Chex and O's cereal, strawberries, cheese crackers, teddy Graham's, cheese pizza, carrots, celery, cake, cupcakes, and things with frosting, cookies, brownies, Sprite, chocolate milk, and apple juice 
6. Play family games
7. Legos
8. Someone that works at the church 
9. My family
10. When we make plans and they don't work out (like a rainy day that cancels plans) and kids that don't have a family 
11. Star Wars Rebels
12. Star Wars books, all the books we read in school
13. Math 
14. Having fun playing laser tag with my friends, the party,  and opening my presents (all of it!)
15. Let's Play, arcade, Disney World
16. Mrs. Paulette and Mr. Davis (at church) and for school, Mama!
17. Cake
18. How fun the next day is going to be 
19. God
20. Lego Watch 

Happy 6th Birthday to our smart, witty, quirky, big-hearted, transportation and Star Wars lover, snuggly, little old man times (at times), little brother lover, and big helper. You are my heart. Your birth six years ago literally birthed the greatest ministry of my life which God had written on my heart years before, and I wept tears of joy at the dream of you coming true and the little bundle that I held being altogether more perfect that I ever could have imagined and the love that I felt for you far greater than I ever could have known. I knew instantly that life would never be the same. 
These last six years have been spent learning to give my life for the good of someone else, and what a great and worthy calling and adventure it has been. I'm a little sad that you aren't a baby anymore and you are growing up so very fast, but if you weren't then I would never have the wonderful things that you are learning and doing and all the sweet conversations - the moments that make the baby days being behind us not just bearable but beautiful. I wouldn't be sitting with you as you learned to read or smiling as you used words like "perhaps." I wouldn't be commended with "Mama, I'm proud of you for being bigger than an emperor penguin" when we studied them together in school. I wouldn't have the (albeit brief) moments of you away from me to know the joy of you running to me after I've been gone. I wouldn't have the accidents and the spilled milk (literally and figuratively) as you learn and sometimes mess up but ultimately learn... I wouldn't have the messes but I wouldn't have a life nearly as full. I wouldn't have the glimpses into the man that God is making in you. 
Every stage has been a delight. A miracle. A joy. Your life has been a worthy and wonderful opportunity to learn to lay my life down everyday. I thank God every day for the privilege of being the mother that he chose for you, and while I don't get it all right I pray that I get it mostly right.  And for the times I don't, I thank God for his grace and his providential plan that is far bigger than my shortcomings. We love you forever, James and I stand in awe and anticipation of all that God will do in your 7th year of life. 

Love, 
Mama 

No comments: