Monday, January 13, 2014

Upward Basketball

One of the ministries at our church is Upward Basketball. Several months ago they were trying to recruit more volunteers, and Stephen agreed to coach the youngest age group. And since Stephen was coaching, we decided to let James join the team as well. After the first practice I really struggled with whether or not he was too young (not because I care remotely about how good he is at basketball but because I sensed he was more interested in running around the gym chasing his teammates than learning how to play), but I also knew that he would be heartbroken if I didn't let him play. At the next practice he settled down a little and listened and cooperated better for his Daddy (who he calls Coach Stephen at practice. Ha!).

Saturday morning they had their first game and it was so precious! James was truly just happy to be there. He ran up and down the court and guarded the player on the opposing team with the same color wristband very well (even when he didn't need to be!). He touched the ball a few times in the game and got to throw it in once and run it down the court once (literally! No dribbling :)) It is very difficult for him to throw that big ball all the way up to the goal, but he tries with all his might.

I love the Upward program. They have halftime devotions and earn stars for their uniform for memorizing verses. They can also earn stars for sportsmanship and Christ-like Character. This week James earned the "effort" star.

I tried to get some pictures but between the lighting and motion and taking care of Jude, I couldn't get the setting right. I also took a few on my phone but they just aren't very clear. Hopefully I can figure it out before the next game.




"Ready Position"

James is guarding the other players :)

This week they wore their favorite color under their uniform. This shirt had blue and green. :)
 A few pictures from before and after the game:


I tried to have us all color coordinate. :)


No comments: