So, what's new with Jude this month?
Growth: Jude is weighing about 17.5 pounds on our scale at home so he has really tapered off this month. I think this is when James really slowed down as well. He wears 3-6 month clothing and some 6-9 month clothing is beginning to work as well. He wears mostly cloth diapers now, but he fits comfortably in size 3 diapers for nighttime.
Appearance: brown eyes and brown hair that seems to be getting curly on top (but we'll see...)
Sleep: He is back to sleeping an 8 hour stretch most nights. He seems to be falling into a predictable daytime pattern for naps: one in the morning, one around lunch, one a little longer in the afternoon, and one in the evening.
Eating: He is nursing about every 3 hours during the day. We started rice cereal yesterday, and I think he did pretty well with it for his first time. James helped feed him as well, and was so excited to help! After rice cereal, we will introduce oatmeal and then begin some stage one baby food. I still have my baby food maker and may make some occasionally, but I'm going to give myself grace in this area because I feel like I have a lot on my plate (no pun intended!) already. I'm sure we will also start working with him on using a sippy cup soon as well since we are beginning to introduce solids. He has actually never had a bottle because of Stephen's long hours (it was just easier to feed him and not pump, since I would almost always be the one that would be feeding him anyway), so I don't know exactly how it will go with the cup but we'll see.
Personality: He is happy, content, and easy-going. He seems to enjoy interacting with people and has lots of big smiles for everyone. You don't have to work very hard to make him laugh. He is wide-eyed and curious (like his big brother) and watches everything, especially the things that his big brother, James, is doing. He is always trying to reach, scoot, and dive toward James while he's playing with toys. He wants so badly to be a "big boy" already, and I feel like he's growing up much faster than James did.
Voice: He babbles and screams. He screams when he's really happy but also when he's upset. I'm pretty good at being able to distinguish between the two but sometimes it transitions from a happy scream to a mad scream. He also "sings" by screaming along with us as we have been singing and preparing for James' preschool christmas musical. The other night Stephen brought him into Awana while I was wrapping up for the night and he heard the kids making animal sounds during a game that we were playing, and he watched intently for a few minutes and then tried to imitate their sounds. It was very sweet and all the three year olds burst into laughter.
Movement: He's continuing to roll over and bear weight on his legs very well. He is also able to scoot and go a short distance. He is still wobbly in a sitting position, but I think he will most likely be sitting up unsupported by 6 months. He tries to pull himself into a sitting position in his car seat and other reclined chairs.
Health: We have massaged his eye continuously the last few weeks, and it seems to finally be better. I'm praying the tear duct is completely unblocked now and the drainage will not return. He is still spitting up a good bit, but I think it has seemed to be less the last several days as well. I also think that teeth will make an appearance shortly. His gums are very swollen, and he is chewing on everything but I know that teething can go on forever before a tooth emerges so we'll see. :)
Milestones/Other: He has had his first Halloween and carved his first pumpkin with Daddy, he stayed in the church nursery for the entire 2 hours at Awana one night that is thankfully directly across from the room that I'm teaching in (a big accomplishment for me more than anyone!), and has started solid foods. He also tried out the johnny jumper this month and has really enjoyed it.
And here are far too many pictures of him from this month :)
| Boo at the Zoo :) |
| Stephen made an amazing Thomas pumpkin! |
| Before Lite Night at our Church on Halloween :) |
| Our favorite place, The McWane Center :) |
![]() |
| #secondchild (we built a chair out of (germy!) blocks for Jude at the McWane Center!) |
![]() |
| First Rice Cereal :) |
| 5 Months Old! |



No comments:
Post a Comment