Thursday, March 7, 2013

26 Weeks! (Past and Present!)

I am already 26 weeks pregnant today with baby Jude! He should now be about the size of a head of lettuce and is probably weighing nearly two pounds already. I'd say that sounds about right. :) 




I was looking back at old pictures today and comparing baby bumps at this point with both boys.

Here is sweet James in his Mama's tummy at 26 weeks. 

And here is my precious Jude at 26 weeks. (Along with his brother, James, who believe he has a baby named Boat in his tummy. Oh, he makes me laugh!) 

After looking at these pictures today, I never really could determine which tummy looked bigger. And, honestly, the thing I found myself pondering the most while getting a glimpse of my much younger self (with no need for any dark circles to be edited out!) was all the things that I wish I could tell that expectant mother from three years ago. I wish that I could tell her that she was about to embark on a journey like no other, and that (as prepared or as organized as she could ever try to be) there really is no way to truly prepare for what awaits her. I wish I could explain to her the powerful and overwhelming love that she would feel the instant the tiniest baby was laid upon her chest (a love that can hardly be explained in words, even to her younger self.) I would tell her that there would be lots of sleepless nights ahead of her, and tears, and times of fear and anxiety, and moments when she would feel that she would not survive another day from utter exhaustion and had nothing else to give of herself, but that in the midst of difficult days would also come a sanctification that motherhood brings from learning first-hand about self-sacrifice and loving someone else above yourself. I would tell her to pray for wisdom from God on how to best parent this little child entrusted in her care before listening to all the other voices and opinions swirling around her and to trust the mother's heart that God has given to her. I would tell her not to worry and to enjoy each moment. The days really do pass so quickly, and, before she knows it, all the big worries of the day will have a way of working themselves out in due time. I would tell her that while she strives daily to be a grace-full mother to her children, to not neglect to freely offer grace to herself as well. And I would remind her that although her life will not look glamorous in any way and when critical people cause her to doubt just about every decision that she makes, that she is embarking on a wonderful and worthy calling from God. He will carry her each step of the way, so just keep her eyes fixed on Him. The reward will look more like holding a dirty little hand when she crosses the street and rocking a colicky baby all through the night that can only be comforted in the arms of his mother (things that may not look like rewards at all if she lets her perspective get clouded), but that the daily investing in a little life is of eternal importance.  I would remind her that as much as she loves that little baby boy, God loves him even more. So trust Him.

No comments: