James loves everything about shapes right now. He loves to identify them, and count them, and sort them, and we have definitely checked out Elmo's Shapes one too many times from the library recently. So, last night I threw together a very impromptu little shape activity and he had a blast. I am so enjoying watching him learn and soak up information like a little sponge these days. And who doesn't love hearing an almost 2 year old say the word "rhombus" or "octagot" (octagon)?
I cut out some shapes from colored paper and James and I glued them down to make some of his favorite things!
Then I scattered the leftover shapes throughout the room, drew each shape on paper (on the scraps I already cut from - see, I told you very impromptu), and we raced around the room to get shapes and sort them correctly. He just laughed and laughed!
Before throwing away the leftover shapes we counted them and identified colors (something he also really enjoys doing these days. He is pretty accurate with colors now except when I asked him what color my hair was and he said "green"...I have no idea what that's about! ha!)
This is James reaching up for the camera and telling me he wants "a hug and a kiss?" so that I'll squat down and the camera will be within his reach. Does he know how to work me or what? (But look at that face! ha!) And just for the record, when I squatted down, I did not get a hug or a kiss! :)
He is entering into the phase of saying "cheese" when you ask to take his picture. :) And he will occasionally stop moving to take pictures now!
"James do it." He loves taking pictures all.by.himself. (you know, except for that one little hand helping push down the shutter button and making sure that doesn't accidentally zoom in on his subject. ha!)
And one with my sweet boy to remember our fun with shapes!
What are some of your ideas for inexpensive, fun activities with toddlers?
No comments:
Post a Comment