Monday, February 7, 2011

Psalm 34:18

I posted a great passage of Scripture a few days ago that I wanted to memorize for February. This morning I deleted that post (and may come back to it later this year) and am posting a new verse that has been a comfort to me over the last few days. This weekend we celebrated James' First Birthday! It was such a joyful occasion celebrating his first year of life, and I will post pictures and details specifically about that very soon! I promise. :)

In the midst of a joyful celebration of  James' life, our hearts were also heavy for the loss and suffering that some of our dear friends were experiencing. It made my worries about food, cake, and balloons (extraneous party details) seem so silly. It made me realize what a true celebration of life a birthday really is and should always be. It made me even more thankful for my little boy and for God giving us this year with him - not because of anything we've done or our efforts but because God graciously sustained his life for all 365 of those days. I am grieving for our friends and for so many others in my life the last few months and years that have experience such great loss in their lives. My heart is broken over what they have experienced. I cannot even imagine. I won't share any details or stories - they are not my stories to tell. There is just so much suffering in this world and I honestly don't know how people survive the storms of this life without a relationship with Jesus. It makes sharing the Gospel with those around us seem all the more urgent. I am so thankful for Jesus! And for hope and peace that comes from Him even in suffering. And for the hope of heaven.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted. He recues those whose spirits are crushed." Psalm 34:18 

4 comments:

PurdyPress said...

Kassi, you are a gifted writer and I love reading how the Lord is using you to speak to other people. Thank you for graciously sharing the truth of the Gospel and encouraging my weary heart. I love you girl:)

The Johnson Family said...

Thanks for your kind words, Robin. My heart is broken and yet I know it doesn't even scratch the surface of what they are going through. I'm praying that God would comfort them and give them peace that could only come from Him. I am praying for you and all the people that are hurting with them. I'm thankful for your friendship and I love you!

Rachel Rainer said...

So thankful for you both! What sweet friends you are! I MIssing you girls like crazy and wishing we could have a play date! Thanks for lifting us up in prayer!
Love ya'll!

Rachel

The Johnson Family said...

I love you, Rachel. Maybe in a few months we could visit and see all the Lord is doing at Grace Life and let the boys play together. It would be so good to see you in person!