Here are Our Top Ten Baby Products (in no particular order):
1. The Nap Nanny - Here is a link to check it out at http://napnanny.com/ - I cannot tell you how much this has helped our family. James has reflux and his frequent spitting up even while he sleeps woke him up SO often (screaming and crying). We learned quickly that he cannot sleep flat on his back and being elevated in the Nap Nanny has greatly reduced his spitting up while he sleeps. It is a little costly but we have definitely gotten our money's worth out of it. We can also tell you two ways to swaddle and still sleep secured in the Nap Nanny if you are interested.
2. Burp Cloths - I know this isn't a new product but we have used burp cloths SO often and do not go anywhere without them. There is no way to know in advance how much your little one will spit up but ours does frequently and I would encourage every new parent to have some. (We probably have at least 20.) The thicker the absorbency the better!
3. Pack n Play - The Pack n Play is great for traveling and also for placing around the house for your little one to sleep wherever you would like. Before James was born I thought he would always sleep in his room and I would just use the baby monitor, but I had no idea just how much I would want him close to me. James is now five months old and I have to confess that he STILL sleeps in our room. He doesn't sleep through the night yet and we have found that we get more rest if we can get to him more quickly, feed him, and get him back to sleep. I know it's not for everyone and that is okay (parenting is about finding out what is right for you and your baby) but it's the best decision for us. We put his Nap Nanny right inside his pack n play in our room and he is sleeping so well now. Also our Pack n Play came with a newborn napper attachment that he slept in until he literally could not fit in it anymore. It kept him snuggly and elevated. I loved it!
4. White Noise CD - We downloaded white noise sounds off of i-tunes and burned them to a CD. We repeat the same track all night long of a flowing stream. It simulates the womb and helps James sleep better. It helps us sleep better too!! I have to turn it off in the morning or it is impossible to wake up. It is seriously the best 5 bucks we've ever spent!
5. Sleep Sheep - The sleep sheep attaches to our car seat and plays white noise sounds so James can sleep better while on the go! There is a larger one also that attaches to the crib at home but it has to be restarted every 45 minutes so we just stick with the CD on repeat.
6. Summer Swaddle blanket - I highly recommend swaddling and this is a blanket that will keep James swaddled (usually) all night. We have just moved up to the largest size and soon it will be time to wean him out of it, but if you want your baby to sleep longer and feel more secure while they sleep this is one way to do it! One word of advice: just stick with cotton (no fleece) even if your baby is born in the winter. In the south it just never gets cold enough for the fleece. I was/am always afraid of overbundling/overheating James.
7. Moby Wrap/Sling - Our baby loves to be carried and worn during the day in the moby wrap or sling (these are the two that I have but I know there are many more out there). I usually only wear him at most for a few hours (when I'm out and about or busy around the house) but he feels safe, is able to see and experience the world, and also takes some really great naps. He is content in the stroller for a short time but when he is worn is content for hours. This is another product I thought I would only use with James as an infant but discovered that he loves it and there are lots of benefits (even health benefits) for him. He's five months old (and at least 15 pounds) and I still prefer to wear him rather than push him in the stroller.
8. Medela Breastpump - Whether you are staying at home or returning to work, if you plan on breastfeeding I would really recommend having a pump. I thought I would use it for convenience and for bottles on the go but found out there were times I really felt like I needed it. This is the only one I've tried, but it's worked great for me.
9. Sophie the Giraffe Teether - My mother-in-law gave us this at a shower but it wasn't until James started teething that we realized how great this teether actually was! It is easy for a baby to hold because it's slender and just the right shape for chewing on. I know it sounds silly but it really is better than other teethers out there! James always prefers this one.
10. The Baby Book and Happiest Baby on the Block - I have never read more and on a subject that is as dear to me as my baby. There is lots out there and everyone has books that are most helpful to them. These may not work for everyone, but for me these two have been the best. The Happiest Baby on the Block is great for learning to soothe the baby in the earliest weeks and during the colicky period (you need to know the 5 s's because they work!!). The Baby Book by Dr. Sears is hands down my favorite and has been helpful to me now and will continue to be for the first few years of James' life. It has information on all kinds of subjects from sleeping to feeding and has given me the most confidence in feeling comfortable to parent from my heart.
My advice is to find the books that are best for you and that offer the advice that you feel most comfortable with -- but really every decision you make when parenting your baby should be based on your unique, individual baby. There is no perfect formula for being a parent. I put way too much pressure on myself these first few months feeling that if my baby didn't act like most babies, something must be wrong with how I was parenting him. Pray for God's wisdom, parent from your heart, and follow's your little one's cues. Don't feel guilty to do things differently than the other mothers around you. (And don't be judgmental of the way someone else parents...there is truly no "Right" way to do it. Every family situation, parent, and baby is different.)
I hope this list will be helpful to new mothers out there! I would love to hear about products that worked for you or products that may be helpful as James very soon enters the world of eating, crawling, walking...oh my!!
5 comments:
Loved this post.
Here are a few of my favorites:
Jumperoo - Can entertain for a while and you can move it room to room. This helps ALOT when I am cooking.
Swing - Transitioning out of it, but it has been a life saver for naps at times.
An old cell phone - Canon could pick out our cell phone even if it were in a pile of 50 toys. We gave him an old cell phone that is ALL his (we took out the battery)
Boppy - These are great for nursing, but also for putting behind your child when he is learning to sit up on own.
Take and toss bowls with lids - These are great for taking home made baby food along with you. I also have a few of the ones that have 2 slots to put food and you can also put the spoon inside and close it with a lid.
Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron - The author is a little much, but this book has been really helpful with making your own baby food. (The author is all about making everything (yogurt, rice cereal) yourself which I have not done.)
Washcloths - Everyone told me I didn't need very many wash clothes, but I use ALOT now that Canon is eating solids. I keep 75% of them in my kitchen to wipe off Canon's face and hands. It saves money on paper towels!
I am sure I could list many more, but these were the first ones that came to mind!
Praying for you Kassi!!
Rachel
I love reading all your "Mommy advice!" I'm not a mommy yet but I love reading and making a mental note! lol!
Rachel, those are good ones to make a note of (I wish we had a jumperoo)..some of yours almost made our list!! :) I definitely want to get the baby food book! And just last night, we were like "what should we get to clean him off after his cereal?!"
Laura, glad you enjoyed!! I know your little one will be beautiful when the time comes! :)
New follower! I love your blog. I agree with you for your number one choice! The Nap Nanny is actually the greatest invention ever! It is a life saver and if I could only keep one baby product ever it would be the Nap Nanny, HANDS DOWN!
Thanks, Kassi! This is a helpful list! I'm glad you posted it... It's good to hear what is working for everyone else! Aaaaand, when I was a nanny, the 5 S's were nearly as important to me as oxygen! :) I love that book, and definitely plan to use it now with my own!!
Post a Comment