Sunday, July 25, 2010

5 Months Old! (Almost 6...)

I need to post a quick update on James' milestones at the 5 month point because in about a week he will be 6 months old! Wow! I can't believe this precious little man has graced our lives for almost half a year. I don't even know what life was like before him. This month really brought about so many changes that we kept asking each other, "Is this the same baby we brought home from the hospital?" He is really at a fun age now and getting more independent all the time.

Here are some of the things that James is doing:

- He is rolling over mostly from his stomach to his back but has also rolled over from back to belly as well.
- He started eating cereal consistently at 5 months old once a day. We can now eat dinner at the table together and he really loves mimicking us eating. He opens his mouth when he sees us do it even if he isn't the one being fed at the time.
- Still putting EVERYTHING in his mouth and I think teeth have to be on the way.
- He is sitting up now! A little wobbly but definitely sitting up!
- He loves reaching for toys and will dive to reach a toy that he wants that is out of his reach.
- He arches his back when we're holding him to get down on the floor when he wants to play.
- He cries if we take a toy away or try to take something that he is putting in his mouth that he shouldn't be.
- He babbles a lot and says "mama" a lot although he doesn't know what he's saying yet.
- His legs are very strong and he is becoming a wild man trying to jump off of us or while in his exersaucer.
- He loves seeing himself in the mirror and loves seeing us smile at him in the mirror.
- He loves watching us brush our teeth and when we carry him into our bathroom he immediately tries to grab a toothbrush to put it in his mouth.
- He smiles and laughs a lot now. He is very ticklish!
- Enjoying books more (chewing on books too)!
- Really smiles at girls and women and then hides his head like he's flirting.
- He has lost almost all the dark hair he was born with and now has blonde hair growing in.
- He still eats quite a bit. I don't even keep track of when he eats anymore - I just feed him on cue.
- He wakes up once a night (at least) to eat but resettles quickly. He wakes up around 7:30 AM now and goes to bed around 8:30 PM. He usually takes a nap around 9:30, 1:30, and a little short nap around 5:30. His first two naps can last up to 2 hours now.
- He is still struggling with reflux but we are praying it will be something that he will grow out of soon.
- He loves his little piano and always tries to reach for it. He can pull all of his toys out of the basket until he gets to the one he wants.
- He has started to show a few signs of separation anxiety - once when my sister was visiting and Megan was in the backseat with him while I drove he cried for me. He also whimpers at times when I walk out of the room. He has started to reach out his hands or dive toward me to get me to pick him up.


When my sister was visiting last weekend while Stephen was a children's camp, we had a lot of fun just talking and hanging out with James. We were talking one morning about the fact that he had a rough night and I didn't get a lot of sleep and she said, "Even when your tired and up in the middle of the night, does it still feel good to look down and be holding him?" And I told her, "Yes, it feels great!" It's so true.  Almost 6 months have already passed in no time and one day I'll look back on this time and wish I could have the sweet moments that we are having together now (even in the middle of the night). He is our biggest blessing and we love him so much!



2 comments:

Libby said...

Kassi, you are such a cute Mama! I still remember the day you called to tell me that you were going to have Baby James! I am so happy for you, and I love seeing you glow in this role! I miss you precious friend!

The Johnson Family said...

Libby, I miss you so much! I feel like I need to see you. To sit down with you, talk, let you snuggle our little man. How can we make this happen?